The Competition Tribunal is established under the Competition Act No. 12 of 2010, Cap 504 Laws of Kenya and its objective is to enhance welfare of the people of Kenya by promoting and ensuring fair competition in markets; and preventing unconscionable and misleading market conduct.
To be an excellent appellate Tribunal in adjudicating competition and regulation matters.
To deliver timely justice that ensures protection and promotion of fair competition and effective regulation for enhanced market operations and consumer welfare.
Our Core Values
- Timely justice
- Efficiency and effectiveness
- Customer focus Vii: Transparency
The Tribunal shall handle cases by, among others–
- encouraging the parties to co-operate with each other in the conduct of the proceedings;
- identifying and concentrating on the main issues as early as possible;
- employing suitable and appropriate technology in the conduct of the business of the Tribunal;
- adopting procedures that are most effective and appropriate for the case;
- ensuring that hearing is conducted within defined time-limits and without undue delay; and
- encouraging and facilitating the use of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms if the Tribunal considers it appropriate
The Tribunal shall have the power to:
- Confirm the decision of the Authority;
- Modify the decision of the Authority by ordering restrictions or including conditions in the whole or in part;
- Set aside, reverse or vacate in whole or in part, the decision or the effect of any decision which is the subject matter of proceedings before it;
- Refer the matter back to the Authority for reconsideration on specified terms in accordance with section 75 of the Act;
- Make an appropriate order as to costs; or
- Grant any other appropriate relief which the Tribunal would have the power to grant under the Act